Thursday 17 May 2007

"She's Gone Native"

This is in reference to my boss. She's English, but she's been working in Spain for something like 20 years.

In Spain, as far as work deadlines, important information and formalities go, there is ever-so-slightly less of an urgency.

My boss, who I saw on Tuesday (for maybe the 5th time since I've been working here) and is a lovely women, neglected to tell me that this morning would have been a speaking exam for my students. Which I would have given. She also neglected to tell me that my students have their main exam on Tuesday 22nd. My students still do not know this, I have no way of warning them. I have also not prepared them fully, because I was told their exam was next Thursday. I was also not told, that the speaking exam was separate to the main exam.

I have never given an exam in this line of work and have no idea how it is done. I asked my boss for this information about a month ago. She never replied, but later said that someone else would come in and do the exams after my contract ends on Wednesday 23rd May.

I just checked my email (my yahoo email which I check far more regularly than usual, and there's an email from her which says it was sent yesterday. But it was not there last night when I went to bed, and it wasn't there at 1pm this afternoon). The email says (which even if it had arrived on time was not sent until 6pm last night) 'You will to give group ___ their speaking test tomorrow and they have their written test on Tuesday'.

You'd think she'd ring. You'd think she'd give me a call. This is a yahoo email account. I'm obsessive and check several times a day, but most people with a yahoo email don't check it more than once a day at the most! You'd think she might doubt that sending me an instruction the night before she expected me to carry it out, that I would in fact receive that instruction.

Curious. Has she perhaps fiddled with the email to make it look like it was sent the day before? Well - actually I don't think so because it's still absurd to tell me I'm running an exam 15 hours before I have to (with sleeping in between) so she looks a bit daft anyway.

Well. We'll no doubt find a solution. The thing is, if this happened in England, it would be so serious and angsty and horrific that there would be a chain of consequences and disciplinary proceedures no doubt. But it's Spain. They'll probably just say, "Oh, we'll do it next week then."

Good job too.

No comments: