Thursday 3 May 2007

Salamanca

I visited Salamanca today and discovered the most beautiful work of art/architecture I have ever seen in my life. The cathedral was absolutely breathtaking. And I've seen a few.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The weather here has been so bad ("You're possessed by the weather devil, sort it out!" said my friend, Steve) that we expected rain for most of the day (it was certainly like that for most of the journey) but thankfully we were able to walk about the place without incident.

Until we sat down at an outdoor cafe, and the FOURTH thunder, lightning and hail storm I have experienced in the last 2 months hit us right between the eyes. We just moved under a porch for the duration.

It was whilst enjoying a chocolate milkshake (and the dramatic torrential downpour with ice balls the size of marbles) that I remarked to Steve that I thought the waiters were very attractive (they were dressed smartly in black and white). He pulled a face of disgust because they were both old. I said that the uniforms were rather attractive, and then suggested that I could be imagining things because I've been single for 5 and a half years. At which point he said,

"Well, smile and stop being f*cking weird."

What are friends for? Great advice to all those single people out there. He was of course joking, and I was giggling for some time. He knows I like Star Trek, you see, so he promptly recorded some Star Trek 'music' for me. I got a CD full of red alerts, scanner bleeps and doors swishing. Really embodies Gene Roddenbury's hope for the future of humanity. As does the Klingon Imperial War theme, which he played in the car for me. Coz I'm weird.

Go and see Salamanca. It's stunning. I made a friend (he shuffled up to me and was rather hard to get away from) called Alfonzo Perez who happily told me he'd lived there for 75 years and was a poet. He seems to like hanging around the Plaza Mayor, so watch out for the old guy with the berret. Lovely, but if you're trying to read, he will NOT allow it and will give you his life story. In thick Spanish. Which gave me a headache. I told him Salamanca was nicer than Oxford and that pacified him for some time.

It's 4am. I had too many sweets in the car and cannot sleep, plus I have backache from the car and cannot lie down, which is possibly also why I cannot sleep. Excellent. Teaching in 4 hours.

Argh.

1 comment:

DesLily said...

Hello and thank you for coming by Myrtle's blog!
I knew the Kelley's for some time and used to draw Myrtle for them a long time ago. After they died I shelved Myrtle until recently when I decided to try doing her on a computer. (I used to hand draw her for the Kelley's) So now I use her for little things and now and then make a small cartoon strip of her. I use her on my blog but decided to put any things I use her for on "her own blog"

It's always nice to meet a DeForest Fan! He deserved all he had and more! He was a super nice man, and Carolyn, his wife was the best... your choice in actors is excellent!

I wrote a number of stories about De throughout my blog but they are all mixed in.. you can pull a month at a time up and scan them quickly and when you see pics of him you can count on a story.

I'll mark your blog and stop back now and then!
Thanks again..
Pat / DesLily