Thursday 26 April 2007

Generating conversation

I again used the male v female subject to generate some conversation to round off a class, this time with the intermediates.

Which of the following things are more important to a man or a woman?

House work, chocolate addiction, shopping, sex, TV remote control addiction, gossip, sense of direction.

The discussion was more politically correct with this group.

Until...

Female student: "Sex. The men talk, the women do."

I was doubled up laughing for an extremely unprofessional amount of time.

There are many amusing anecdotes I take with me from my classes. One group in Catalunya were doing a problem solving exercise. Student A would announce the problem, and student B would provide a solution. I monitored two rather closely. Without mentioning names, student A was a retired woman, and student B was a retired man, both very respectable and gentle. The following exchange was over heard:

Student A: Oh no! There is a spider!
Student B: Don't worry, I kill it.
Student B: My shoes are hurting.
Student A: Don't worry, I kill you.

Beautiful.

No comments: