Saturday 2 June 2007

Bumpy Start

I´m in a B&B in San Sebastian. Free internet access provided you are nice to the Spanish Momma.

The ever-so-easy and cheap half hour flight from Madrid to San Sebastian turned into a nightmare due to terrible weather. We nearly crashed into the airport - after a few bumps we suddenly pulled up dramatically and everyone started freaking out. It was an aborted landing because the pilot just couldn´t see basically. Fortunately he didn´t hit the control tower. So then we were re-routed to Bilbao were there was less cloud. But it´s some distance away!

We all shuffled off the plane to collect our luggage.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

5 of us never got it. Including me. I reported my rucksac (my new rucksac with all my trekking stuff, books, clothes, etc) missing and with the rest of the manifest filed on to a bus bound for San Sebastian.

We eventually arrived at 11am (3 hours later than planned) after a winding journey through pretty mountains, hitting the hostile weather, and were dumped unceremoniously at a bus station. The tourist booth was closed. Bloody Spanish work ethic.

Now, I´d worked out that I would arrive at San Sebastian airport and go to the tourist shop to sort out where I would be staying, etc (I tried booking last night but everywhere was full so I thought I´d try my luck). However, obviously that didn´t happen. So there I was at a bus stop in the middle of a city where written directions are in Basque, in the pouring rain (and my rain gear is missing with the rest of my kit). I walked into a hotel and they told me they were full. I began to despair and walked back to the bus stop. Fortunately for me, I wasn´t alone in this.

God Bless America. I´ve met up with a lovely group of Americans who saved my neck. As luck would have it, 2 of them had booked a tripple room for the sake of privacy, but they have taken me in. They´re also rather pleasant company.

So now, it is still pouring with rain and it´s rather cold. I have my handbag and what I´m wearing, and all I can do is wait for Spanair to call and tell me where my luggage went. I hope it´s having a nice time. Perhaps it went to the south coast.

There are 3 of us in the same boat - though at least I´m wearing warm clothes. These guys are in flip flops and shorts and t-shirts. It´s appalling weather and all the locals were laughing at them. I promptly bought a water-proof poncho which is bright yellow.

I´m staying right near the beach. If only it would stop raining, I could enjoy it. You´d think Spain in June would be nicer!

Well, this is the first day of my adventure. If my stuff doesn´t turn up, apart from being rather devasted as it has a great deal of valuable possessions (both sentimental and plain expensive), I will have no choice but to go back to Madrid tomorrow. However, I have my luggage tag so I´m staying positive and hopefully my backpack, perhaps currently sipping sangria in Malaga, will find its way back to me soon.

Bloomin´rotten start, but as the nice man next to me in the queue at the lost luggage desk said when I told him I was starting El Camino de Santiago, "Your first obstacle".

I know where I´d like to stick an obstacle. Spanair will pay!!!

No comments: