Thursday 28 May 2009

Language Barrier

Without searching the web, I can be fairly certain there is substantial material as regards translating UK English to US English and vice versa. But I'm going to do my own, I think. Because otherwise my head will explode.

I will start here.

An American friend asked me what a 'biccie' was as a British someone had emailed her with the term. Here is my explanation.

"Biccie": (pron. Bicky) Origin: British English, abbreviation of BISCUIT. (Informal).

Nearest US translation: COOKIE. Though a biscuit can be plain (though always fairly sweet) and a distinction is always drawn between a chocolate chip biscuit and other varieties, including ginger snaps, jammie dodgers, rich tea and chocolate hobnobs.

Usage: Biscuits are commonly taken with a nice cup of tea (English Breakfast Tea), the combination of which is thought to have healing properties. The hot, black tea is typically taken with a dash of milk and sweetened to taste.

English Breakfast Tea is thought to be able to solve almost every problem known to humanity, though there is some dispute as to how it compares with coffee in a crisis. English Breakfast Tea contains more caffeine than coffee, but I'm personally of the opinion that while both are healing, coffee can turn you into a super hero within 20 minutes depending on strength, whereas tea is what you serve when the super hero didn't turn up and everything's fucked. They have distinct before and after uses.

Ergo, I hereby propose that coffee can be considered to have yang energy (dynamic, proactive, masculine) whereas Tea has Yin properties (a more passive but sensitive feminine energy).

My blood is currently 45% coffee. It needs to be 82.3% or more for me to become immortal. I'm trying.

I just read that Jammie Dodgers are made in Wales. Jammie Dodgers are Welsh. My whole world is different now.

No comments: